the perfect trail
Yorktown has many different kinds of trails – from leisurely walking paths to challenging mountain biking trails. As an introduction, read All About Trails, then to find the right trail for you check out the list below.
Dark green shows the park trails while red dashes on a light green line represent the longer linear trails.
3. Turkey Mountain Nature Preserve
4. Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park
10. Briarcliff-Peekskill Trail
11. John E. Hand Park at Bald Mountain
18. Trump State Park Indian Hill
19. Trump State Park French Hill
22. Rock Hill Park
Here are two informative books that focus on our local trails
that you can buy to easily reference when on the road.
Yorktown Walk Book
Published by the Yorktown Land Trust in 2010, and expanded in 2016, Yorktown Walk Book is the best printed source of information about parks and trails in Yorktown. It is available for $5 at the Yorktown Town Hall and at the John C. Hart Memorial Library circulation desk.
The third edition of Walkable Westchester – A Walking Guide to Westchester County, published by the New York – New Jersey Trail Conference in 2021, is a comprehensive guide to 200 parks and more than 600 miles of trails all over Westchester County, including many in Yorktown.
Yorktown’s parks and trails are owned and maintained by several organizations.
- Volunteers from the New York – New Jersey Trail Conference maintain many of the Yorktown hiking trails and publish maps and descriptions of those trails.
- Hanover Hill Farm is owned by Westchester County and is managed by The Friends of Hanover Hill Farm and Environmental Center.
- FDR Park is operated by New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation .
- Teatown Lake Reservation owns and manages Teatown’s nature preserve and education center, and manages several nearby county-owned parks.
- Westchester County Parks manages the North County Trailway, the Briarcliff-Peekskill Trailway, Kitchawan Preserve, and Mohansic Golf Course.
- The Westchester Land Trust owns Hemlock Brook Preserve, Danner Family Preserve and part of the Hunterbrook Linear Park.
- The Town of Yorktown Parks and Recreation department has responsibility for town-owned parks.
- The Yorktown Land Trust is a local non-profit that preserves open space in Yorktown, including Turkey Mountain and parts of the Hunterbrook Linear Park. This group also publishes the Yorktown Walk Book.