Buildings and monuments
As Grenci & Ellis expanded its operations to include finishing blocks of granite from other quarries, it is not always possible to say whether a specific building used Mohegan granite in all or portions of the construction or whether the quarry finished granite brought in from other quarries.
The best example of this confusion is the George Washington Bridge: Most histories of the quarry state that Mohegan granite was used for the abutments to the bridge. However, additional research has documented the fact that the granite came from Grenci & Ellis’s quarry in Maine but was finished at the Mohegan Quarry.
And, with the exception of the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, it is not known if the Mohegan granite that was used was the golden or light gray stone.
- Bancroft Hall expansion , US Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, 1941.
- Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, New York City (below)
- Charles M. Schwab residence on Riverside Drive and 73rd Street, New York City. Built in 1900-1905. Building has been demolished. (below left)
- City Bank – Farmers Trust Building, Renamed 20 Exchange Place, New York City, 1930-31. The first story used Mohegan granite. The landmarked building is now home to luxury rental apartments. See also “Carvings” section below. (below right)
- Clarence W. Bowen residence on 63rd Street, New York City, whether east of west not known.
- Connecticut State Armory and Arsenal, 360 Broad Street, Hartford, Connecticut. (below)
- Cross Building, Fifth Avenue, New York City, 1905.
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Reading, Massachusetts. Currently the home of the Northeast School of Ballet. (below left)
- First National Bank Building, Greensburg, Pennsylvania. (below right)
- First National Bank, Stamford Connecticut, 1929.
- First Presbyterian Church, Poughkeepsie, New York, 1905. A national landmark. (below left)
- George Washington Bridge approaches, 1930s. Mt. Waldo granite finished at Mohegan Quarry. (below center)
- Health Building, 125 Worth Street, New York City, 1932-35. Currently houses the offices of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the Health and Hospitals Corporation and the Sanitation Department. (below right)
- New England Mutual Life Insurance Company, Boston, Massachusetts, 1939. The white building on left side of photo. (below left)
- New York State Office Building, 20 Centre Street, New York City, 1928. Renamed the Louis J. Lefkowitz State Office Building and turned over to City of New York. Used granite from both Mohegan Quarry and Mt. Waldo quarry in Maine, with the latter being finished at the Mohegan Quarry. (below right) See also “Carvings” section below.
- Newark Telephone Building, Newark, New Jersey (with Texas granite), circa 1930.
- Payne Whitney Gymnasium Yale University, New Haven Connecticut, 1932.
- Postal Telegraph Building, 253 Lower Broadway, corner of Murray Street, New York City. Built in 1892-94, the building was later combined internally with an adjoining building and designated a landmark.
- Senate Office Building, First Street Wing, Washington, D.C., 1933.
Buildings in Yorktown, Peekskill, and Surrounding Communities
- Foundation of Town Hall, 1930.
- World War I Memorial, 1919. Currently located in Patriot Gardens. (below)
- Apartment building at corner of Nelson and Diven, 1928. The first story used Mohegan granite.
- Drum Hill School, foundation, 1909.
- Lincoln Excedra, 1925. (below) The granite was donated by Bruno Grenci who lived around the corner from the Excedra.
- Peekskill Saving Bank, South Street. The front of the building has been changed. (below left)
- Peekskill Transfer & Storage Company, Water Street. The front of the building used Mohegan granite. The building is now the home of the Peekskill Brewery.
- Westchester County National Bank. 16 Bank St and 37-39 North Division St. Currently home to WMG, Inc., a nuclear engineering services and software provider. (below right)
- Ellis Mausoleum, Hillside Cemetery, Oregon Road, Cortlandt. (below)
- Gatehouses at the Carmel and Purdys dams.
- Gateposts at St. Peter’s Church in Vancortlandville, Cortlandt.
- Macey Memorial at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Sleepy Hollow, New York. (pictured below) SUSAN – WHERE IS THIS IMAGE?
- World War I Veterans memorial in Verplank.